• Home
  • Anime
  • Tech
  • Games
  • Portfolio
  • About

March 22, 2012

Quantic Dreams Emotive Tech Demo - Kara

Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dreams has recently shown off some impressive tech that may be a glimpse into the future of game graphics. The demo is a short story about the birth of a robot companion using cutting edge motion capture technology rendered in real time on the Playstation 3. Here is the video:



According to an article on The Verge, the demo does not preview the team's next project, but I think it could lead to a great title should they decide to do something with it.

With any luck, in the next few years all of the 'realistic' games may be using similar techniques. I think it would offer another bridge for non-gamers into the industry. I have quite a few non-gamer friends whom, when I show them a new game that I think has fantastic graphics and character movement, say that everything still looks "awkward" even more-so that characters are starting to "look so human that unnatural movements are even more of a distraction." I wonder if they'll be able to say the same after I show them this demo!

There is also a new "making of" video just added yesterday that shows the entire process from casting to motion capture to animation. It is a very interesting video and I think everyone in the industry could learn a thing or two from watching it:



My ultimate goal as a game developer is to create a game that speaks to people, that helps people grow or learn. I feel that the games I grew up on played a big part in making me who I am. Perhaps someday I'll be able to use similar technology to help accomplish my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment