• Home
  • Anime
  • Tech
  • Games
  • Portfolio
  • About

January 22, 2012

Winter Anime 2012 Review



Welcome to my very first Anime season review! Here I will be giving my first impressions on the shows I've watched so far this season. I'll only be doing the originals because, chances are, if it's a sequel to something you liked you will watch it regardless. I know I will.

This review will work much like the preview, I will sort each show into categories: Worse, As Expected, and Better, each of which describing my opinion of the Anime relative to it's position in the preview. Remember that these opinions are my own! If you don't agree, feel free to pose your arguments to me in the comments section, perhaps one of us will show the other the light, or even agree to disagree. I will also give each show a rating out of 10, pretty much in line with the description made by a fellow blogger (keikakudoori). I will also assign stars (out of 5) to various categories from the following list. Not every Anime will have every category, for the most part I will include only the relevant ones.

Animation - The quality of the animation including technique, transitions, fluidity, etc. I was tempted to make an Art category as well, but then I decided that grading it would be far to subjective, I'll make not in this category if I feel that the art was exceptional or horrible.

Characters - The depth and personality of the cast. This category will be mostly speculative for first impressions because characters have not been given the time to develop.

Music - This rating will be based on how well the background music, opening/ending sequences, and sound effects jive with the show. I will also include my personal opinions about how much I like the music, but since that is largely objective, I will try my best not to let it affect the score.

Pace - This measures how comfortable I was with the speed at which the show delivers its setting and progresses the plot.

Service - This category comes in two flavors, with the more obvious being sex appeal and the latter being fan-service by a more traditional definition (references to other Anime, hobbies, prequels, etc).

Story - Here I will rate the depth, delivery, and fluidity of the story. Like the character category, this score will be largely speculative and like the music category, I will try to keep my subjective opinions of the story out of the rating, but still note it in the review.

Before I start, I want it noted that I mean no offense to those involved in the creation of these shows. I appreciate the tremendous amount of time, money, blood, and sweat that go into each Anime. Anything I deem 'bad' is just relative to other things I have enjoyed. If I really thought something was trash, I wouldn't bother watching enough to review it on my blog. So please, take no offense and keep up the good work!

Keep in mind, there will be spoilers! Now, let's begin!


Recorder to Randoseru


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:

Review: Okay, I didn't look too far into this one at first, so I was surprised when the episode suddenly ended 3 minutes in. I have only ever liked one Anime short: Chi's Sweet Home. The first episode wasn't long enough to really rate anything, so the numbers above are somewhat arbitrary. It didn't hook me, so I won't be watching any more, but if you're curious I suggest watching at least one episode, it won't take much longer than writing that Facebook status update that you'd be doing instead anyways. Status: Dropped.

Mouretsu Pirates


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: Not sure why I expected more from this, I really didn't like the first episode, so I had to watch two. It's a good thing I did because otherwise I would have dropped this. It felt fake like an excuse to jump start the plot that her mother didn't tell her that she was the child of space pirates until the father she never new was dead, then just shoved it off casually like it was no big deal. It also turns out that director Sato Tatsuo will be removing any romantic content from this and Rinne no Lagrange in favor of a friendlier atmosphere. At first, I didn't like this prospect, but after some thinking I came to the conclusion that relationships in Anime like this tend to be poorly executed and the whole friends thing might give off an Ano Hana style warm feeling. I will give it a few more episodes at least before coming to a final conclusion. Status: Watching.


Kill Me Baby!


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:

Review: This Anime turned out exactly like I thought it would after watching the trailer. It wasn't bad. Some people enjoy this type of humor, but not me. If you liked the trailer you'll probably like the show, if not you'd best stay away. One good thing about it was the pace, scenes had little to no transition so it was just one thing right after another. Status: Dropped.

Rinne no Lagrange


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: Basically a girl who is "perfect" at everything is suddenly supposed to pilot robots. For some reason her sister doesn't want her to do it, but she is the only one who can pilot this super strong robot. The first episode wasn't too bad, I had some laughs (DAT ROBOT SUPLEX MAN...), Nissan's robots are pretty cool, and I got two new Nakajima Megumi songs out of it. The quality was all over the place and nothing really stood out, so I think I'll pass. Status: Dropped.

The Daily Lives of High School Boys


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:

Review: Now this was pretty funny, but there's not much to say about a simple comedy, it just happened to hit the mark. Tadakuni no imouto and the principal are awesome. I've been a bit busy lately so I probably won't watch this as it comes out, but I'll save it for a laugh. Status: On Hold.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: Right away we learn that the main character is supposed to die, then a few minutes later what looked like another main character dies too. I don't really know where this Anime is going. I don't like it when they kill off characters before you get to know them, because it kinda makes their lives feel cheap and pointless. The episode itself wasn't terrible, I think I'll watch another episode or two just in case it gets better. Status: Watching.


Inu x Boku Secret Service


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: First things first, the fan service in this Anime is masterfully executed. There is a little something for everyone without being distasteful. I didn't think I would like this Anime based on the description, but I managed to get somewhat attached to the characters in the first episode. I think I will give it a few more episodes to develop before coming to a verdict. Status: Watching.

Aquarion EVOL


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: This Anime starts things right off with a fantastic reference to the first season's lack of success. Overall, I was pretty impressed with this, compared to Genesis of Aquarion. Overall, it's sort of the same Anime, but with everything made just a little bit better. Even the awkward orgasmic robot transformations are still there. Despite Mikono's endless fountain of tears, I think I'll actually finish this one, but there is just a bit too much back story I feel I'm missing from the first season. Luckily there is a movie so I can just get it over with and get back to this! Status: Watching.

Ano Natsu de Matteru


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Service:
Story:

Review: Did you watch Ano Hana? If not, go do it right now. Then come back and watch this because it's just about as good. The same staff seems to have pulled it off again; Ano Natsu has that same warm group of friends feeling that made Ano Hana so loveable. Status: Watching.

Another


Animation:
Characters:
Music:
Pace:
Story:

Review: I picked this up thinking it would be more of a romance like Kimi ni Todoke. I could not have been more wrong. I have never actually seen a true horror Anime, there are a few I mean to pick up like Higurashi, but I haven't got around to it. Everything about this show from the music to the animation and the characters' awkward behaviors gave me that anxious feeling in my chest. I've watched scary movies and played scary games, but this is the first time I've seen a scary animation. Just for the new experience I will definitely be watching this! Status: Watching.



Credits:
Nanoha Illustration by TOM
Inu x Boku Illustration by algeria

No comments:

Post a Comment