• Home
  • Anime
  • Tech
  • Games
  • Portfolio
  • About

September 28, 2009

Fall 2009 Anime Preview

Alright! Here we go... my first blog post of what I think about the next up and coming season of Anime. As far as blogging series like other authors do, I'm not sure yet but if anyone has any requests I'll be glad to oblige. Since I lack an idea of what to write in this introduction other than that this season looks pretty awesome, lets just get started in the same order as this nice chart. Looks like the newest version of this chart has both the Anime I found that were not on the original as well as a few others...

Kuchu Buranko

Staff: Toei

Summary: Irabu Ichiro is a shrink with several fetishes that always makes the lives of his patients worse before better.

My Thoughts: It sounds pretty fun, but Toei is notorious for sub-par Anime so we'll see how it is. According to Anime News Network this Anime will be a fusion of 2D animation and live-action. Most of us know how horrible live-action can be, but this is a unique approach so I'll have to at least give it a chance.



Tatakau Shisho - The Book of Bantorra

Staff: David

Summary: Several armed librarians defend a library in which the souls of the dead are stored in books that can be used to learn the person's past. Tonisu has his memory erased, gets wired with a bomb, and ordered to kill the most powerful of the librarians.

My Thoughts: Wow... poor Tonisu, good luck? This Anime sounds pretty cool and it's called "Armed Librarians" what more can I say? This may be one of the Anime I finish this season if it's any good.



Darker than Black: Ryusei no Gemini

Staff: Bones

Summary: This Anime will be a sequel to Darker than Black that takes place two years after Hei and Yin escape the syndicate.

My Thoughts: I'll certainly have to buckle down and finish the first season before this one comes out, I like what I've seen so far very much. I'm sure this one will be just as good. It is still being produced by Bones, which is without a doubt one of my favorite studios.



To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Staff: J.C. Staff

Summary: A side story to the popular To Aru Majutsu no Index that follows the character Misaka Mikoto.

My Thoughts: Another Anime that I enjoy but haven't gotten around to finishing. I'll definitely be watching this one to. For anyone who hasn't seen the first season I highly recommend it as an interesting mesh of magic and science.



Tegami Bachi

Staff: Pierott

Summary: Gauche is a letter carrier for the government charged to deliver any letter anywhere. After meeting Lag Seeing and becoming friends, he convinces him to become a carrier. Now Gauche is a missing and Lag decides to find him.

My Thoughts: I really like the art style of that little picture in the preview and from the summary it could be one of those heart-warming journey type Anime like Kino's Journey.



Sangoku Engi

Staff: Beijing Glorious / Future Planet

Summary: Your typical story of the three kingdoms, anyone who doesn't know it by now probably just doesn't care.

My Thoughts: I've always been a fan of ROTK but I would much rather watch something along the lines of Koihime Musou than this. I'll definitely give it a shot and watch it if it's any good.



Seiken no Katanakaji

Staff: Manglobe

Summary: Cecily Campbell has been searching for the legendary blacksmith Luke Ainsworth, who is capable of defeating enemies with a single sweep of his "mysterious" sword, to repair her late father's sword.

My Thoughts: Anime like this are usually a hit or a miss so I won't have a verdict until I've at least watched the first episode. The story sounds interesting enough, so I'm sure it has a decent chance.



Fairy Tale

Staff: A-1 Pictures / Satelight

Summary: Lucy, 17, wants to become a mage and enter a guild called Fairy Tale. One day she meets a mage named Natsu and is invited to join.

My Thoughts: Many of my friends absolutely love this series and have been trying to convince me to read it for some time now. It isn't that I didn't want to I just never got around to it. Either way, this Anime sounds like it's going to be pretty good, just as long as it isn't like a million episodes. I'm not a big fan of long Anime, so I'm hoping it isn't any longer than 52.



Kobato

Staff: Madhouse / Clamp

Summary: Kobato's mission is to fill a bottle with the suffering from people's hearts to create her utopia while also trying not to fall in love with her co-worker whose heart (for some reason) she must heal.

My Thoughts: Well, that's certainly a very Clamp'y sounding story. While the story sounds predictable at first (girl falls in love with boy, realizes that this means not all people are bad, forgets about her utopia) but knowing Clamp there will be a number of ridiculous events that mess things up big time. *cough*Tsubasa Chronicles*cough* It sounds interesting and the collection of sorrow vaguely reminds me of True Tears so I'm certain I will end up watching it this season.



Kimi no Todoke

Staff: Production IG

Summary: Kuronuma Sakuro's only wants to make friends, too bad she looks like Sadako from The Ring. She likes a guy in class who happens to be the only guy who is nice to her.

My Thoughts: Right... this almost sounds like it could be a true story albeit a little exaggerated. It sounds pretty bland, but as with everything else I'll give it one episode as a chance to prove itself. I have no expectations though.



Sasameki Koto

Staff: AIC

Summary: High school honor's student Sumika likes her classmate Ushio and while she has heard that Ushio is also totally into girls she has not yet expressed her feelings.

My Thoughts: I have a feeling that this yuri will be just as boring as Aoi Hana looked to be last season. In fact because the main character already knows who she likes AND has a legitimate reason not to be afraid of telling her, I have a feeling this will end up as drawn out and frustrating as Lovely Complex was, without the humor to make up for it. We shall see.



Winter Sonata

Staff: G&G / JM Animation

Summary: Kang Joon-Sang whose life is somehow tied to that of his classmate Jung Yu-Jin. The story will follow their lives in school and thereafter.

My Thoughts: Sounds pretty good, I've always been a softie for the dramas. It is apparently based off of a Korean drama, so I'm sure it will be at least decent and not just a Clannad knockoff like I had originally thought before doing my research.



Nyan Koi!

Staff: AIC

Summary: Junpei Kosaka hates cats but his crush Kaede Mizuno adores them. After traumatizing a cat god by kicking over a trash can, he is cursed to understand the way cats feel

My Thoughts: THAT'S MORE LIKE IT! This is the Anime I'll be looking forward to this season, it sounds absolutely HILARIOUS. I can't really think of anything else to say, being so astounded by the awesome emanating from that summary.



Natsu no Arashi 2

Staff: Shaft

Summary: Sayoko Arashiyama is a ghost from the past who went to a school during World War II. In modern times, Hajime Yasaka meets her one day and they both travel back in time in an attempt to make the past during WWII better for a number of people.

My Thoughts: Although I never liked the art style, I finished the first season and thought it was really interesting. I liked how every time they went back to the past, I realized what parts of the first half of the episode were caused by their escapades. Since I enjoyed the first one, I'll watch this one. I hope there is a little bit more story content this time.



White Album 2

Staff: Seven Arcs

Summary: Toya Fuji is dating rising idol Yuki Morikawa. This Anime details the numerous challenges to their relationship.

My Thoughts: I may like dramas, but the first season didn't do it for me so I won't be watching this one. It wasn't that hated it it, I just kept falling asleep from the lack of anything really going on most of the time. I liked REC much more, but that isn't a fair comparison because the latter was a comedy.



11eyes

Staff: Dogakobo

Summary: Kakeru Satsuki has been in mourning over the suicide of his sister and last remaining family member. Then suddenly him and a number of classmates are taken to Red Night from where they cannot return until defeating the six black knights.

My Thoughts: Like the Sacred Blacksmith, this Anime will be a hit or a miss. I'll have to wait and see when I watch it.



Inuyasha - Final Act

Staff: Sunrise

Summary: If you don't know by now you can safely skip to the next preview.

My Thoughts: I gave up on Inuyasha a long time ago, but my sister toiled onwards only to realize the author just sort of got lazy and stopped. All I can say about this is "finally" I'll have to at least watch the last few episodes out of obligation.



Asura Cryin' 2

Staff: Seven Arcs

Summary: Tomohara Natsume is haunted by the ghost of his childhood friend. Soon after moving into a new house he gets caught up in a battle between several supernatural factions and obtains a powerful ability that many sought out to abuse or destroy.

My Thoughts: I started this one when the first season came out and I thought it was pretty cool, I'll have to finish the first season before I start this one though.



Kampfer

Staff: Nomad

Summary: Natsuru Seno wakes up one morning and find that he'd become a girl. He/she discovers that he has been chosen to participate in battles with other girls.

My Thoughts: He certainly scored some pretty blue hair... Anyways, I'll have to wait and see on this one. It could be really funny, but more than likely it will over do the fan-service or something to screw it all up.



Heaven's Lost Property

Staff: AIC ASTA

Summary: Tomoki Sakurai has a dream about a girl who he cannot remember asking him for help, only to awaken to an animal falling from the sky that turns out to be an angel.

My Thoughts: This will probably be one of the primarily fan-service type Anime this season, I'll probably watch it though if it has some level of decent content and isn't as lame as tu-love-ru.



Seitokai no Ichizon

Staff: Deen

Summary: Ken Sugisaki is chosen and the only male in the all female student council where they discuss the daily activities of the student body.

My Thoughts: Okay, correction... maybe THIS will be the most fan-service-y Anime this season. This however sounds like it could have better content and more tasteful comedy than the previous. It is also being produced by Studio Deen, I'm sure that won't hurt it one bit, though that thought scares me into thinking that such an innocent looking Anime will quickly become a bone saw wielding loli mania.



Queen's Blade: Heir to the Throne

Staff: ARMS

Summary: An all female cast fights using any means possible (apparently include rape) to become the queen of the country.

My Thoughts: No.



Shin Koihime Musou

Staff: Dogakobo

Summary: An alternate re-telling of the three kingdoms story using female replacements for the majority of the cast. Unlike Ikkitousen however, it still takes place in the appropriate time period.

My Thoughts: Being a big ROTK fan, I really liked the first season and I thought it was pretty cute. I hope there is more story this time around, but that may be too much to ask for.



Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

Staff: Diomedia

Summary: Nogizaka Haruka is your not so typical rich girl with a secret. She is really an Otaku.

My Thoughts: I really liked the first season of this Anime too (man am I getting spoiled with sequels this season :3). I'll definitely watch this one as well!



The last 5 in a nutshell:
- Futuristic Bio-Dome Lion King Ripoff
- Another card game
- A little loli baking stuff, uhh, right.
- A sequel to Stitch.
- A Tomagatchi Anime, serious?

I probably will not watch any of these. There is a chance I could enjoy Battle Spirits much like I enjoyed the unique comedy of Duel Masters, but I doubt it.

And now for some little jewels that I dug up which do not appear on chartfag's list:



Kiddy Girl-And

Staff: Gonzo

Summary: A Sequel to the popular Kiddy Grade that takes place 50 years after Éclair and Lumière restored peace to the galaxy. The galaxy once again stands on the brink of chaos with two new heroines: Ascoeur and Q-feuille.

My Thoughts: OMG, OMG.. I heard this Anime got delayed indefinitely... but here it is! I can't wait.



Miracle Train

Staff: Yumeta Company

Summary: A number of Japanese train stations are personified into male characters...

My Thoughts: Okay, random... but this COULD prove to be funny so I'll give it a chance.



Kaidan Restaurant

Staff: Toei Animation

Summary: Each episode will be split into three "dishes" the first two will follow the life of Ako Ozora and her classmates' misfortunes and the final dish will be a short ghost story told by Ako.

My Thoughts: This sounds like it could be pretty cool, perhaps it'll have a Ghost Stories feel to it.



While I usually won't preview the OVAs there is this one exception:

Shakugan no Shana S

Staff: Toei Animation

Summary: An OVA sequel to Shana the Second.

My Thoughts: While this may just be a teaser to keep me from inciting a riot before the third season comes out, I'm glad I have at least a little bit more Shana to tie me over. The news of this release came with news that there will be another Shanatan and that they are indeed working on the third season.



So there you have it, after typing all that I still haven't thought of anything to say... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment